Used correctly, scented soy candles can add beauty and atmosphere to your home, however it is important that they are handled in the right way to prevent accidents.
Here are some general candle safety guidelines:
Soy candles require a slightly larger wick than paraffin candles and proper burning and care of the wick is essential to ensure safety.
The wick must be trimmed to 0.25cm - 0.5cm before each lighting to prevent the flame from becoming too large and the wick from smoking.
The maximum recommended burn time is 3-4 hours per burn. Candles allowed to burn for longer than this may smoke.
If the flame smokes it must be extinguished and the wick trimmed to 0.25cm - 0.5cm before relighting.
Never touch the surface of the container while the scented candle is lit - extinguish the candle and allow the candle to cool before touching.
Never leave burning candles unattended.
Always read and follow manufacturer's instructions supplied with candles and candle holders.
Burn scented candles out of reach of children and pets.
Extinguish candles with a candle snuffer. Do not blow them out. Never use water to extinguish a candle.
Ensure candles are placed at least 10cm (4ins) apart and allow headroom above the candle for the heat to disperse.
Ensure candles are burned away from other sources of heat such as television sets and away from direct sunlight.
Candles should be burned in an area free from draughts as draughts will cause a candle to burn uneven and smoke.
Never let the flame of a container candle touch the container surface.
Remove all packaging and labels before use.
Place candles on a suitable heat-resistant surface to prevent damage to furniture.
Ensure candles are burned in an upright position.
To avoid damage to surfaces, always place soy candles and candle holders on a surface that will not be damaged by heat e.g. ceramic tiles or plates. Table mats are NOT suitable.
Do not move candles when lit or the wax is still liquid.
Discontinue use when 1cm of soy wax remains at the bottom of the container.